Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Everyones has a favorite arrondissements.....

Everyone has a favorite arrondissements there it be to stay or just to be in. So I thought it would be fun to hear from everyone what is your favorite and why?



This will get us all to daydream a little more about being in Paris...not like we all don%26#39;t do that already by being a part of the TA forum.





Cheers,



Magic97




|||



OK Magic! I%26#39;ll give this a try.....





I%26#39;ve always enjoyed staying in the 7th precisely because it is quieter than the 4th, 5th or 6th. However, I am seriously considering an apartment in the 6th for next trip - simply because I haven%26#39;t stayed there before.





I%26#39;m one of those who prefer the left bank to right bank, I%26#39;ve never thought of staying on the right bank.




|||



I love the Marais (3rd and 4th). I always feel like I%26#39;m in a real (lively) neighborhood.




|||



I like the 6th, not as busy and noisey as many areas in the 5th, but not as quiet and boring as most of the 7th( yes except Rick Steves St)lots of cafes and little restaurants , cute hotels, but not as pricey at many in the 1st( which is also dead as doornails in evening.



Very central( hey its between the 5th and 6th and right across river from 1st, I mean you can%26#39;t get more central then that!





I have stayed in the 1st, 5th 6th 7th and 8th( relatives) and just like the 6th best. I am sure there are many many other nice areas, in fact I would be interested in trying the 11th and the 4th some day.




|||



Maybe I%26#39;m weird but I don%26#39;t have a favorite arrondissement. I%26#39;ve stayed in the 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th and 13th and enjoyed the differences between them all. I%26#39;ve explored the 12th 19th and 20th and will choose one of these for my base on my next trip. That%26#39;s the great thing about Paris--so many wonderful neighborhoods to live in yet transportation allows you to go everywhere you want in such a short time--efficiently and economically!!




|||



I live in the 8th but prefer the 9th which is not too touristy and has a variety of shops and restaurants and a mix of population. All the streets on the back of church Notre Dame de Lorette going up to Montmartre are among my favourites.




|||



I%26#39;m another fan of the Marais. It%26#39;s the only place in Paris where I got a sense of the medieval city... I usually stay near the Bastille but spend most of my time wandering the Marais...




|||



I%26#39;m also a Marais fan but have also noticed the changes (dare I say commercialization?) of the Marais since the mid-90s. I%26#39;m staying in the 4thstarting on 5/31 for 12 days, but I think that I will be looking for my next base of operations-probably the 10th, 12th or the 20th-for my next stay.




|||



I live in the 18th and I love it. If you ever have the time, wander around the back streets behind Sacré coeur and towards the Mairie du 18ème (city hall for the 18th arrondissement). Lots of little shops, delicatessens, green grocers and some great local restaurants. Much more character than Rick Steves Street and far fewer tourists.





Enjoy, but don%26#39;t tell too many people, let%26#39;s just keep this one our little secret...





PS



If you are there on August 30th this year and you see a curly haired woman in a wedding dress leaving the Mairie then wave, because there%26#39;s a chance it will be me!





LN




|||



Interesting reading - would not have thought of some of these areas as a place to stay. I have had apartments in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. My favorite area to stay is on Ile St Louis (technically part of the 4th, but really its own area with a bit of a %26quot;village%26quot; feel to it).




|||



I always stay in the 19e because it is familiar to me and I feel at home. It is certainly not tourist Paris, and Rick Steves would no doubt condemn it out of hand, but I think you are in touch with real people there.





That said I think anywhere in Paris is worth staying in, some places perhaps more attractive than others, but all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment