Thursday, March 29, 2012

Carry your passport or lock it up?

Many years ago I was told that when traveling in a foreign country you always had to have your passport on your person. I have never even thought to challenge this idea until now. Is this required? Do most of you carry your passport or lock it up in your room safe? (we do keep copies in the safe)





I remember being in the Czech Republic once and the hotel desk clerk wanted to keep our passport for the duration of our stay. We refused his request and he gave in.




|||



I was told the same thing, and also often carry my passport when I%26#39;m abroad - we don%26#39;t have identity cards at all here in the UK, so the whole idea of carrying anything at all is a bit foreign, but it%26#39;s a holiday habit and it%26#39;s never caused me any problems.



I believe the legal position in France is that you have to be able to demonstrate your identity if required by the police ... and there have been stories of people showing an expired library ticket which has been accepted. Certainly many posters here have had no problems carrying a photocopy. But then again, given the ease of photo-shopping nowadays, you do wonder about implications for security, identity theft ....



I don%26#39;t know about the Czech republic, but I know that Italian hotels are required to gather info from guests%26#39; passports and I think Italian police can require original documentation.



Do you have to carry any ID in the States? Are photocopies acceptable?




|||



From Personal experience lock it up and just carry copies with you. My purse was taken on our third of our trip and both our passports and the camera. Then the big question was from everyone why did you have them with you when you could just carry copies.





Cheers,



Magic97




|||



the apartment we%26#39;re renting doesn%26#39;t have a safe. Any suggestions on what to do with valuables? Thanks.




|||



I have never carried my passport when I am just sightseeing, I carry my DL. I have never been id%26#39;d in many years of travel, so I really can%26#39;t imagine it is much of an issue . I always lock it in hotel safe, or leave it right out in the open on my bedside table when I am staying with relatives.





If I did not have a safe option in a hotel, or an apartment I would do one of two things ,, wear it in my money belt, which I do use on %26quot; travel days%26quot; , or I would hide it, I couldn%26#39;t tell you where, a) since it depends on where, and b) cause then I%26#39;d have to kill you, LOL





Hotels are supposed to write down your passport info. , and some apartments owners do ask for it, so don%26#39;t panic over it.





You know, even if you lose it ,, you can still go home, LOL,, just a few days later,, ( which I wouldn%26#39;t mind!)




|||



Diz,





We do not have to carry our passports in the United States. We use state issued driver%26#39;s licenses/ID cards for check writing and identification.





I guess I cannot think of a reason why I would need to carry my passport in Europe unless I was arrested by the police and then I would have a bigger worry than where my passport is located!




|||



Oh , one thing is , I never actaully bring any valuables with me to Europe. I have a few pieces of jewerely I like to wear that I leave at home, I do wear my wedding ring , and a cheap watch.



I bring a cheap camera , if I bring one at all, didn%26#39;t last time.



Thats it. I am there to see Paris, I do not bring a suitcase of electronics with me, no Ipod, no MP3, no lap top, and no fancy expensive camera. Its quite freeing really, try it. I do you an internet cafe if I want to email someone, but I do that like once a week, maybe. I didn%26#39;t leave home to bring it with me,LOL



If I need to allmy valuables fit in one hand, and go straight into moneybelt on transit days. ATM card, CC card, and passport.



I never carry more then a days cash with me at any time ( while sightseeing) if I am robbed, pick pocketed, or lose my purse, well, it is nothing more then a minor inconvenience, not a trip ruining catastrophe.




|||



hi guys well personally sometimes we hide are valuables somewhere people won%26#39;t look n its your undies n socks LOL or If u take a book just put your passport inside than leave it in your luggage. But we always carry copies like my mom carry a copy of my passport n I carry hers don%26#39;t ask y we do that :) enjoy your trip guys




|||



Hi Kajon





Handing my passport over to anyone is way out of my comfort zone! The Czech desk clerk.....jeez, I hope that was a long time ago...before copy machines?




|||



Have a copy of your passport. It is TOO much trouble to loose your passport in Paris.



A copy will able you to purchase duty free. For ID, should you have to prove your age to get a discount, or should you be arrested by the police, a driver%26#39;s license is enough. If you are in very serious trouble, you can always go back to hotel and get papers... cannot imagine a reason for this to happen...




|||



Officially, if you%26#39;re from outside the EU, you need to carry your passport at all times. Citizens from another EU country can carry their national ID card instead of their passport. Photocopies can facilitate the issue of a new passport, should you loose it - but they%26#39;re never a legal form of ID, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment