Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If you were me...

Hi all you experts out there!





I%26#39;ll be in France this summer for a 2 week grad program in Lyon. I am flying into Paris - arriving around noon on a Wednesday %26amp; staying until Sunday morning (so 3 full days %26amp; a partial %26#39;jet lag%26#39; day). Then on my way back from Lyon, I%26#39;ll have an entire day before leaving the next day. Question - if you were me, would you spend that full day (a Sunday) checking out more of Paris, or would you go to Versailles?





I have no specific itinerary for those 3 full days in Paris. I%26#39;m not a %26#39;huge%26#39; museum person, so might hit up 1 museum and then will do alot of walking/checking out the sites of Paris. If I did Versailles, I%26#39;d do the Fat Tire tour. Looks like I%26#39;ll need to book that in advance, so would love to get input from the Paris aficionados out there!





If this has any impact on your advice, I%26#39;ll be traveling solo and am a 27 year old female...





Merci beaucoup!




|||



I would go to Versailles. You won%26#39;t be disappointed. The Fat Tire Tour would be a fun way to see the grounds and give you a group to be with as well. I don%26#39;t think you have to book it in advance though. You could email them just to be sure. I emailed them about their Paris night tour and they got right back to me. Have a great time.





Linda




|||



You don%26#39;t say whether this is your first trip to Paris - which could have a bearing on whether you would want to stay in Paris. From the sound of it, you would enjoy the Versailles side trip, so you might want to just go for it. If you%26#39;re not into museums, and you%26#39;ve just spent two weeks in Lyon (where you would presumably have a comparable experience re sitting in cafes, etc.) you may not feel like you%26#39;re missing too much by doing that. But my real suggestion would be to wait until you are there before deciding - if you don%26#39;t feel like you%26#39;ve seen enough of Paris, then stay in Paris that day but if you don%26#39;t feel like you%26#39;re cheating yourself then go to Versailles (and, it may also depend on the weather - if there%26#39;s rain, e.g., a bike tour may not be as attractive as just sitting in a cafe sipping a glass of wine and watching Paris go by).




|||



Thanks for the advice, all! This will be my first time in Paris so I really appreciate your suggestions!




|||



Versailles is a place that really does depend on good weather - that being said, you can do it in a half day - if you want to see the fountain show make it an afternoon on Saturday or Sunday -





However, it wouldn%26#39;t surprise me if once you get to Paris, you%26#39;ll feel that you just want to stay there - Versailles has been there a long time, and I%26#39;m quite sure it will stay there for a while longer, so feel free to put it off onto your Next Trip List.





It took me 3 or 4 trips before I first went there, and 3 trips out there before I saw the entire site - there%26#39;s no rush. There will always be another trip - just ask the regulars here on the forum.





By the way - I%26#39;ve traveled alone to Paris many more times than I have traveled there with my husband - he%26#39;s always on call - don%26#39;t concern yourself in the least with being in Paris alone - you%26#39;ll be safe and welcomed in any restaurant, brasserie, or cafe in town. As a matter of fact, you%26#39;ll see many Parisiennes who are dining alone, almost anywhere you go.





When walking after dark use the usual rules - don%26#39;t flash cash or jewelry (there%26#39;s no reason to take any jewelry with you - the French aren%26#39;t impressed), don%26#39;t go into dark alleys or ill-lit streets, and if you have a gut feeling, trust it and take a cab.





I%26#39;ve never had a problem anywhere in Paris, whether on foot, on a bus, or on the Metro, at any hour of the day or night.





Bon voyage.




|||



1BCTraveller - thanks for the reassurance on traveling alone! Good to hear that I won%26#39;t be out of place dining alone. Will definitely use caution %26amp; go w/ my gut when alone, esp in the evening!




|||



I second the thoughts about traveling alone - you will be fine! I went alone at least the first ten trips, and never had a problem.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment