Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Can you answer yet another train question?

Sorry to have so many questions. Figuring out the train in Italy seemed easier for some reason.





If I get a 3 day Eurrail pass, it looks like it includes access to TGV trains, has anyone done this.





My trip includes flying into Paris on May 16th and then taking the train to Bayeux on May 20th and then TGV to Avignon on May 23rd from there, I leave from Paris, so I need trains:





May 20th from Paris to Bayeux



May 23 TGV from Bayeux to Paris



MAY 26 from Avignon to Paris





It looks like the $326 (does anyone know why the prices seem to be in USD on this site?) for the pass, which when I go to SNCF and price the trains out individually-they seem much more expensive.





On SNCF, is Paris to Bayeux really only 2 hours?





Is there an easier way to get from Bayeux to Avignon without cutting back through Paris?





Lastly, do we need to use our pass, if we get the rail pass, for Versailles (from Paris) or Mont St Michel (from Bayeux) since it seems we could get cheaper tickets if we buy them when we get there using RER or train.





Thanks so much for any advice.





Best,



Amy




|||



Ok, I called Rail Europe and the nice lady answered my questions, but now I have a problem in that if I buy the pass, there aren%26#39;t any train reservations left for the TGV train to Avignon. My head is spinning at this point. I know it%26#39;s my fault for not figuring this out sooner--I knew they were open 90 days in advance. Ugh. Does anyone know a number someone can call to work with a professional who can help with this stuff? I like to think I can do it all online, but I think I%26#39;m stuck.





Thanks!



Amy




|||



A girlfriend had a problem with Italy rail tix and went to her local AAA (Triple A) office and they helped her get everything worked out.




|||



Wow, AAA. Why didn%26#39;t I think of that?! Thank you!!



Amy




|||



I just priced Paris -Bayeux round trip and Paris - Avignon Round trip on your dates on the French SNCF website and the total cost is 159.80 € or 249$. That%26#39;s alot cheaper than the rail pass. If you want to book on the French rail site I have typed up a guide that might be useful to you:





tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3019/Paris:F…





Raileurope prices are always higher than booking on the French site.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 26, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment