Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Arrive Paris May 25, 2008 - help with packing

Sorry for another clothes/packing question, but would appreciate any thoughts. We will be in Paris May 25 through 29 of this year, and then in Provence (Avignon, Luberon area) May 29 through June 1. I know the basics of expect anything, layers, unpredictable, etc. and I have a pair of closed-toe Merrell walking shoes I%26#39;ll bring (bit of a wedge heel, so still ok with skirts) as well as hiking shoes (we%26#39;re going to Switzerland after Provence). Question is - should I bring sandals at this time of year? It seems it can get warmer in Provence, but maybe still too early in Paris for open-toed shoes or heels at night? Thanks so much!




|||



If they%26#39;re comfortable for walking, I would bring them. I wore them at home last week, and it%26#39;s a lot warmer in France than in Boston :) Maybe not for the higher elevations, but for Paris proper, I bet you%26#39;ll like having them.





(And before anyone else says it, who cares if no one else is wearing them yet. If you enjoy wearing your sandals as much as I do, bring them. They don%26#39;t take up much room)




|||



Reckon the dogs**t would just love to see a pair of sandals.




|||



About the sandals - I love my sandals and they are the most comfortable for pounding the pavements footwear I own. I%26#39;ve learned to pack them if there%26#39;s any chance the weather will be warm enough to wear them, as so many times I haven%26#39;t and wished I had them along. After a few warmer days in London, I finally bought a pair (very expensive), but they were not as nice as the ones I had at home.





Comfortable footwear is more important than anything else, so I totally ignore the %26quot;rule%26quot; to limit packing to wearing and pair and packing a pair.





About the layers - I always check a 15-day forecast on the web just before leaving home to finalize my packing - but still, plan for warmer or cooler. I%26#39;ve learned to pack a few tops that are suitable for very warm weather (they can always be layered under other things for cooler temps). You tend to feel much warmer when out and about, especially if it%26#39;s sunny and not breezy. And, many indoor venues are quite warm, even though it may be chilly outdoors. And, I always bring a polartec jacket on the plane. Some sections of the plane can be very chilly, and it%26#39;s the perfect %26quot;extra%26quot; layer if you need it once there.





I never pack heels any more. For me, after being out and about all day, my feet are too swollen, so they%26#39;re a tight fit, which means I can%26#39;t walk very far in them comfortably.




|||



Navrad, lol...I wasn%26#39;t considering dog poop at all, since I%26#39;ve never even seen any in my 15 or so trips to Paris. Maybe I%26#39;m lucky, but I just don%26#39;t know where that whole bit of dog poop in Paris lore came from...




|||



On our first trip to Paris, many years ago, I spent the first few days, as recommended in all the tour guides and on the travel forums, %26quot;watching out%26quot; for dog poo.





Never saw any dog poo, and realized all the great scenery I was missing. Haven%26#39;t watched out for it since, and haven%26#39;t stepped in any either.




|||



Personally, I like to wear socks when I am doing a bit of walking. I tried good quality walking sandals once and I got blisters. I guess it depends on if you walk slow or fast.





The first time we went to Paris (pre internet), we didn%26#39;t know where to stay so we were a bit off the beaten path and ended up in a more residential area. We saw quite a few doggie droppings. I remember being amazed that at 10pm when the Parisians were out walking their dogs, they would stop in at a local bar and stand and have a drink while their pooch slept on the floor next to them.





If you don%26#39;t pack your sandals you will have wished you did!




|||



Well, it%26#39;s essential to test your shoes at home. If they rub, poke, pinch - leave them home.





I always test mine for a few hours at a local mall.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment