Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Birthday Dinner ~ Il Vino, Au Bon Acceuil or other?

We have reservations on May 13 at Il Vino. I had read about the restaurant and thought it might be a nice place to have my birthday dinner in Paris.





I%26#39;m having second thoughts and have started looking at other options. I%26#39;ve heard Au Bon Acceuil has good food and a great view of the Eiffel Tower if you are seated outside. I%26#39;ve also heard good things about L%26#39;Epi Dupain, Chez L%26#39;Ami Jean, Le P%26#39;Tit Troquet and Les Fables de La Fontaine.





As you can see, we are not looking for a gourmet 500e meal, but something nice and memorable with good food and great atmosphere. Any thoughts or should I just go with my original reservation at Il Vino (has anyone been there lately? I thought the evening blind tasting was 75E but read it is 100E).





OTOH, I am keeping my reservation at Spring on the 16th.........can%26#39;t wait to try Daniel Rose%26#39;s creations!





JO




|||



I should add that our apartment is in the Marais. I was thinking of being near the Eiffel Tower for dinner, but if there are any great places nearer to us, that would be great too!





Jo




|||



Was at Au Bon Accuiel two weeks ago and definitely reccomend it. The food was outstanding really well cooked with good ingredients and very well presented. The atmosphere was buzzy but the style of the place was relaxed. Waiting staff were brilliant professional and warm. When we ordered a cab through the restaurant back to the hotel and had left my suitcase in the back they even helped me track it down despite it being midnight.




|||



Thanks Izzy, I think I may try to call them for reservations today, how far ahead did you reserve when you went?




|||



JoDen,





Did you call Spring to make reservations? Do they speak English? I am willing to try my grade school French, but am worried about being able to make myself understood. I%26#39;ve heard good things about Au Bon Acceuil, and also about Chez L%26#39;Ami Jean. The latter is supposed to be loud in a boisterous way, which might be good for celebrating.





Happy Early Birthday!




|||



Don%26#39;t worry about calling Spring, the chef is an American and of course speaks English. Try to call between 6-8 pm in Paris (between noon and 2pm here). I hear they are booked until July now!





Thanks for the birthday wishes!





Jo




|||



I thought as much, but wanted to check. We%26#39;re not going until December, so we should be in good shape. Enjoy, and I can%26#39;t wait to hear about your trip!




|||



Au Bon Acceuil does have very good food, but it%26#39;s one of the priciest places you%26#39;ve mentioned, all depending on what you order.





There are half a dozen or so tables on the sidewalk, and only a few have a view of the Tour Eiffel, and of course you must be seated looking in that direction. You never know about the weather for dining outdoors. If it%26#39;s chilly, it won%26#39;t be as enjoyable, and your food will cool off quickly.





Indoors, tables are very closely set, and when all the chairs are occupied there are no aisles. There is no %26quot;atmosphere%26quot; to speak of...





Le P%26#39;Tit Troquet also has very good food, and is quite the bargain. Decor is vintage and just charming, along with M. %26amp; Mme. who own the place.





Reports of experiences at L%26#39;Epi Dupin are so wildly mixed that we%26#39;ve never tried that place.





Your best bet is to peruse menus and photos and determine which you would find most appealing.




|||



PS - If you want to dine with a view of the Tour Eiffel, consider Chez Francis. There are two dining rooms - one with windows with a straight on view of the Tour Eiffel. And, there%26#39;s a huge terrace in front with a view from every seat. The food is just fine, though not outstanding, and it%26#39;s a bit pricey (again, depending on what you order) due to it%26#39;s location. But, you can drop by any time for beverages or whatever on the terrace - with that view! If you want to dine there with a view, you must reserve accordingly.




|||



Thanks, I haven%26#39;t heard of Chez Francis, I will check it out.





No opinions from anyone on Il Vino?





Jo




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment