Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Trouble deciding on where to stay in Provence

Hello, I%26#39;m thinking of visiting the area for around 10 days and really can%26#39;t seem to decide on a good base for visiting the area. I%26#39;m looking for somewhere with lots of nightlife, not too quiet, great food and shopping. Is this Marseille?





The only other place I%26#39;ve been to so far in France is Paris, and I%26#39;m not a huge fan. (not too crazy about the high prices, crowds of tourists and homogenous architecture)





I look forward very much to seeing Arles, Nimes and maybe even Aix or Avignon. I%26#39;m worried about what I%26#39;ve read about crime in Marseille and I%26#39;m worried about the relative quietness I%26#39;ve read about Arles or Avignon.





Please let me know what you think. Help me decide.




|||



if you are lookin for nightlife, shopping Marseille is the place. Then Nimes and Avignon ...But nothing to compare with Paris ...About food, no real opinion ...Crime in Marseille, there is only one at the full moon (hihihi, keep smiling) and it could occur at Nimes too ....




|||



It depends what you mean by nightlife too. There%26#39;s a huge student population in Aix and I assume they go clubbing sometimes. Same goes for Nice.




|||



My wife and I are not necessarily club people, but I do appreciate restaurants, cafes and bars that open later than 10 p.m. We%26#39;ve been to some places where everything closes down early and that really isn%26#39;t what we are looking for.





We%26#39;re also looking for great, hearty Provencal cuisine. I%26#39;m not really a big fan of the royally expensive %26quot;haute cuisine%26quot; call me unsophisticated, whatever. I%26#39;d much rather eat a good cassoulet than spend a fortune in a Michelin rated restaurant.




|||



Hi urbanfoodie





After spending WAY too much time on the internet trying to sort out my own itinerary here%26#39;s what I%26#39;m doing:





- I chose Lyon as my starter city. I used my FreqFlyer miles to go Los Angeles to London. The airfare to Lyon wasn%26#39;t too expensive and fit my time criteria. I%26#39;m not driving, so I needed some kind of a metro, hotels are reasonable and if you%26#39;re a foody, I read about several excellent places to eat.





From there I%26#39;ll work my way south to Avignon by train (TGV). Avignon appears to be more interesting than Arles, so will stay in Avignon for a few days and keep Arles as a day trip.





From Avignon, train to Aix. A friend of mine studied there a few years ago, and I loved her photos. Lovely, lively place. Will stay a few days in Aix.





Am considering an additional day in Montpellier. Then back up to Lyon to fly home.





I think a lot of folks flt to Marseille and then work their way up north, I%26#39;m starting at the top (Lyon) and heading south. Personally not interested in seeing Marseille.





I haven%26#39;t decided on hotels yet. Hope this helps.




|||



Thanks! Didn%26#39;t even consider Lyon as an option. I%26#39;ll look into it as well.




|||



If restaurants/cafes and a general buzz are what you mean, you%26#39;ll get that in any of a couple of dozen towns. Don%26#39;t know what time of year you are visiting but I found the passagiata in Aix to be unequalled in summer, Cassis heaving in early May, Hyeres town centre the same - full of restaurants and people every evening.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment